Monday 18 February 2019

Review: Fangirl

Fangirl Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

My sister adored Rainbow Rowell’s Carry On and had me reading it in no time at all. Although it was interesting, I wasn’t wowed by it in the way my sister was. However, it did leave me curious about Fangirl. I wanted to see where Carry On came from, so I was more than willing to borrow Carry On from the library.

I wanted to enjoy Fangirl, yet my feelings towards it are rather mixed. There were points where I considered giving a four-star rating, but I couldn’t quite bring myself to do so in the end. It was addictive, I was happy to power through the book, but it was not everything I had hoped it would be.

I think my biggest issue is too much was left open in this one for me to be content with the way it ended. We were introduced to many elements throughout the story, and I was interested in most of them. I was eager to see how each individual aspect came together, curious to see how everything played out, only to be disappointed by the lack of resolution.

In many ways, it felt as though things were introduced to add additional dimensions to the story, then when it wasn’t a vital part of the aspect the main book was focused on, it was dropped. There were easy answers or brushed off comments, leaving me feeling as though things were pushed under the rug so we could return to a single factor.

I’d been hoping for so much more from this one, and had things come together better, I may have been willing to give this a four-star rating. As it was, it was just okay for a quick read. Addictive, but not a favourite.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment