Wednesday 6 February 2019

Review: Kingdom Cold

Kingdom Cold Kingdom Cold by Brittni Chenelle
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

In a world where it’s difficult to find a young adult fantasy novel which does not follow the same formula of every other book in the genre, Brittni Chenelle’s Kingdom Cold offers us something different. The title and the cover may have the markings of other such books, but the story itself stands out.

It is a story where you do not know how things are going to play out, where elements are constantly introduced to leave you guessing what is going to come next. Even when things come together in the unexpected of ways in the end, you think you know what we will be given in the last few pages, only to be given another element that leaves you thinking wow. If there is to be a sequel of this, I’m certainly curious how the unexpected will come into play with something we think we know.

Now, as much as I enjoyed the unexpected nature of this story, it was a three-star rating. It was fun, it was different, but I do feel as though it wasn’t quite as fleshed out as it could have been. I’m someone who very much enjoys lots of details, where the fantasy worlds are elaborate, and I feel as though this one wasn’t quite up to the standard I usually like. I feel we only touched upon the surface of the world, and I would have liked a bit more depth. There was certainly potential, but we didn’t get everything we could have.

I think, in some ways, it was because so much happened throughout this one. With so much happening throughout, it almost felt like multiple books were combined in one. Instead of having a series worth of books dealing with all the things introduced, everything is dealt with in one book. It made the book difficult to put down, but I think this was done at the sacrifice of some other things.

Kingdom Cold was certainly a fun read and is worth reading if you’re after something different in the genre.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment