Saturday 16 February 2019

Review: The Smoke Thieves

The Smoke Thieves The Smoke Thieves by Sally Green
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Sally Green first caught my attention with her Half Bad, and for some time I’ve been meaning to read it. When I went to borrow it from the library, I found someone else was already borrowing it, but there was another Sally Green option available. Thus, I decided to give The Smoke Thieves a read.

This book had so much potential. I was imagining a wonderful combination of high fantasy and demonic lore. I expected something that would blow my mind, something entirely unique, yet such was not what I was given. Instead of the wonderfully unique story I had hoped for, this book was generic. There wasn’t really anything to make it stand out from all the other fantasy books out there, nothing shocking and new, and such a thing disappointed me.

I kept waiting for something big, something dramatic, but it never came. Although the story was addictive enough to have me reading to the end, I never came to care about things. I did not feel any emotion towards the characters, the events never shocked me, and I doubt I’ll be able to recall half of what happened by the time the next book comes out.

Overall, The Smoke Thieves disappointed me. I’ll still give Half Bad a read, but I’m no longer as eager for it.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment