Monday 25 February 2019

Review: Southern Player

Southern Player Southern Player by Jessica Peterson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I’ve loved every Jessica Peterson book I’ve picked up, and Southern Player is no different. I went in with high expectations, and the story certainly delivered. It is no surprise Jessica Peterson is one of my favourite contemporary romance writers.

After Southern Charmer, book one in the Charleston Heat series, I was desperate to see how things played out between Gracie and Luke. The little insights we were given into their story in book one left me desperate for more, and I knew there was a lot of fun to be had between the two of them. Although you get a wee bit more through reading Southern Charmer first, Southern Player works perfectly fine as a standalone novel. However, with my love for the series, it should come as no surprise for me to recommend reading the series in order because they’re just so good.

With Southern Player, we have a book that had me smiling for the entirety. My jaw hurt by the time I was done, because the stupid expression would not leave my face. I adored the characters, I adore their interactions, and I could not control my facial muscles as I worked my way through their story. I was in love with them, sucked in, and anyone who looked my way would have known I was having a good time. I guess, in that sense, it’s a good job I live alone, otherwise there could have been some questions being thrown my way.

It wasn’t just the characters and the interaction that was great, but also the story. I love how Jessica Peterson always manages to send a strong message without being preachy. She makes it so you realise you’re worth more, that there is beauty out there, but at no point do I stop and roll my eyes thinking ‘this is romance, of course everyone deserves happiness’. In fact, this book deals with the way romances influences our views and how people view romance readers. Rather meta, when you stop and think about it, without feeling like a destruction of the fourth-wall is occurring.

Without a doubt, Southern Player was another winner from Jessica Peterson. It’s guaranteed I’ll be powering through the Charleston Heat series as I do every Jessica Peterson release. In fact, I’m extra excited for book three as it’s one of my favourite tropes.

Bring on more of this goodness!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment