Wednesday 15 May 2019

Review: Annihilation

Annihilation Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I have a weakness for books where I’m unsure what I am going to receive, especially when it comes to science-fiction. There are so many possibilities, and I’m always curious to see what is going to happen in such stories. Hence my curiosity about Jeff VanderMeer’s Southern Reach series. I had no idea what to expect from Annihilation and was eager to dive into the story for answers.

If the truth is to be known, this is one of those books where I have just as many questions at the end as I did at the start. It was an intentionally vague story, which is fine, but I usually like to have a wee bit more when I finish the first in a series. With this one I was given so little, it did not leave me with the desire to continue. Yes, I’m curious. However, it’s not enough for me to pick up book two to see what comes next.

Of course, it’s completely possible I missed the point with this one. I was mostly bored, and I fear there were times when I did not give the book the attention it deserved, so that could explain my feelings.

I guess this was just one of those cases where the book wasn’t for me.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment