Wednesday 15 May 2019

Review: Changeling

Changeling Changeling by Matt Wesolowski
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

When I read Changeling, I did not realise it was the third book in the Six Stories series, and I wish to point out my feelings towards the book may well reflect this. Sure, this one can be read as a standalone, but I fear I was missing out on some things that would have made me love this one.

You see, the self-contained story within this one was interesting. It was predictable, yes, but I enjoyed watching the way the details came together. It was easy to get through, and a different way of telling a story, which meant I powered through the tale.

My inability to connect came with the main character, with the details that were more personal and linked to the present, rather than the details of the past. This is where I feel I would have enjoyed it more if I’d read the prior books. I could not connect to them, and the way things linked together felt too easy. I kept hoping I was wrong, that I would be given something else, but my beliefs were confirmed, and it felt like a cheap way of wrapping things up. If I’d read the prior books, it’s possible I would not have felt this way. In my mind, this was a standalone and the conclusion felt too neat and tidy.

I may go back and give the prior books a read, which may influence my rating of this one. After all, it was an interesting read – I simply couldn’t love it the way I’d hoped.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment