Wednesday 15 May 2019

Review: The Hunting Party

The Hunting Party The Hunting Party by Lucy Foley
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Lucy Foley’s The Hunting Party is one of those books everyone seems to be talking about, and I gave in to the masses and borrowed it from the library. Well, more accurately, I added myself to the waiting list and borrowed it when it finally became available. As I said, everyone seems to be reading it right now.

From the start, I was addicted. It’s one of those stories where you want to see how everything comes together, even when you’ve worked things out. Sure, it felt like more of a drama than a thriller at times – the crime was in the background for a lot of the story, and it was a case of going through the motions with people – but it worked to leave me more curious when we were focusing upon the crime itself.

Despite my addiction, I did work things out far too easily. We were given many possibilities, but it was easy to work things out. In fact, we were given too many possibilities. Things were constantly being added, and whilst it added more to the overall story, it never added to the core mystery of the book. It was separate tangents, things that were dangling off, and it was clear they were not directly related to the events.

That would have been fine, I would have been okay with that, expect things came together too easily in the end and were not tied up as well as they could have been. It seemed to end with things being ticked off a list rather than being dealt with properly.

Overall, this was addictive, but it didn’t quite do for me what thrillers usually do.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment