Monday 6 May 2019

Review: Traitor's Blade

Traitor's Blade Traitor's Blade by Sebastien de Castell
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Sebastien de Castell’s Spellslinger series has caught my attention on a handful of occasions, yet I decided I would read the Greatcoats series before diving in. I confess, the Greatcoats never quite caught my attention in the same way, but I was curious. Plus, I like to try and read things in order – thus, Greatcoats first then Spellslinger.

I think what prevented me from being crazy about diving into the Greatcoats series was the references I have seen people make to Scott Lynch’s work. I’m a huge fan of Locke, and the way people were comparing the group in the Greatcoats series to Locke’s crew had me worried. I was scared it would be a pale imitation, thus I was avoiding it.

After reading, I can see why people make the comparison. The Greatcoats crew has a similar kind of comradery, although I never did come to love them in the same way I loved Locke’s crew. Nevertheless, I did enjoy the way they interacted.

In fact, I enjoyed the entire book. Despite enjoying it, however, I was never completely won over by it. It was fun, yes. It was addictive, yes. It has me wanting to read the rest of the series, yes. However, I was never completely lost to the story. I found myself wanting something more, something more explosive, meaning this one was just fun instead of being a fantasy series I’m going to be forcing upon everyone.

My fingers are crossed I’ll enjoy book two more, as I can see so much potential with this one and am hoping it will live up to it.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment