Friday 14 June 2019

Review: Jake's Redemption

Jake's Redemption Jake's Redemption by Jamie Schulz
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Jake’s Redemption is the prequel to Jamie Schulz’s The Angel Eyes series, and it’s a read that has me desperate to see what the series brings. Although my feelings were a bit mixed towards this one in the end, as a whole it was highly addictive and I’m certainly interested in reading more about this world.

With Jake’s Redemption we’re introduced to an interesting dystopian world, one that left me super curious. I’ll be honest and say I didn’t completely understand it – there were some elements that were never completely explained, some details I wanted to know more about – but what I did understand was interesting. Moreover, the lack of knowledge did not prevent enjoyment of this one. We know enough to appreciate the story, but there are certainly questions left. My fingers are crossed these questions are answered in the future books in the series.

What really sucked me in with Jake’s Redemption was the story itself. I was sucked in from the very start and was addicted to the way things were going to play out. I felt it dragged a wee bit in places and some things were repetitive, but I was so hooked I did not care. I wanted more, and I powered through the story to get my answers of how things played out.

For the most part, this book was sitting around a three-point-five-star rating. There were some four-star moments, but there were some three-star moments as well. It was the lack of answers to some of the details in the end that left me rounding down. There were plenty of things left open, things that will be important in the main series, but there were some elements in this one I felt should have been resolved and not left hanging. As a prequel story, I would have liked everything about the romance in this one, everything to do with the main characters of this story, to be explained in full. As it was, there were a few things I felt needed a bit more explanation and that had me rounding down.

Overall, however, Jake’s Redemption was an incredibly addictive read and I’m certainly interested in diving into the main books in the series when they’re released.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment