Monday 24 June 2019

Review: Killing Commendatore

Killing Commendatore Killing Commendatore by Haruki Murakami
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Since reading Haruki Marakami’s 1Q84, I’ve been meaning to dive into more of the author’s work. Finally, with Killing Commendatore, I’ve jumped into another of the author’s books. Unfortunately, this one didn’t do for me what 1Q84 did. In fact, I’m rather disappointed. Had this been my first Haruki Marakami read, I would have been extremely hesitant to dive into more of the author’s work.

The book started out interesting, with a prologue that left me curious as to how everything was going to come together. I was excited, positive a lot of fun was to come, but the more I read the more my enjoyment waned. Things were far too repetitive – especially in the details being given, whereby we’d be told the same thing far too many times – and the usual Haruki Murakami awkward sexual scenes and commentary were apparent in abundance.

At times, I was able to deal with these things as I was curious as to how everything would come together. However, I was expecting more when those things finally came together. As it was, I was disappointed. I felt as though the pay-off was not quite what I had hoped it would be. Things were too slow for what played out, and I wanted more from the ending.

Overall, this wasn’t quite what I’d hoped it would be. I’ll certainly give another Haruki Murakami book a read, but I’m not quite as eager as I was after 1Q84.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment