Tuesday 30 January 2018

Review: Awkward

Awkward Awkward by Lily Kate
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Awkward was my first Lily Kate book, and it will not be my last. I decided to read this one as it had the potential for a decent story, only for it to win me over before the end of the first chapter.

Awkward is one of those books that grabs you hard and refuses to let go. You’re sucked into the story, and before you know what has happened you’ve finished the book in a single sitting. I’m no stranger to finishing a book in a single sitting, but such was not my plan for this one. Awkward was supposed to offer me a reprieve from the book I was finding difficult to read, a way to hold off on a reading slump – I was not supposed to consume it in a single sitting. Even when I realised what was happening, how quickly I was working through this one, I found myself unable to put the book down. It begged to be finished, and finish it I did.

In truth, this is more of a four-point-five-star rating than the four-star rating I gave the book. I very rarely round up such ratings, but there were a few moments where I considered rounding up. The only reason I didn’t is because of my overly picky ways, and how there were a couple of points where things seemed to lull somewhat. It was nothing major, but it was enough for me to hold off on my rounding up.

For anyone looking for a fabulous rom-com, I certainly recommend picking this up. It mixes truly humorous moments (I laughed so long and loud throughout this book I was waiting for the neighbours to complain) with the wonderfully sweet. One moment you will fear you’re going to pee your pants from laughter, then next you fear your heart is going to beat right out of your chest. Add in some steamy moments, and we have exactly what you want in a rom-com. You’ll laugh, you’ll roll your eyes, and you will feel – you cannot ask for much more.

Of course, you are given much more. In addition to all the elements that make this the laugh out loud funny book it is, this one also has a brilliant storyline. It is an amazing friends-to-lovers story, one that will leave you wanting more of the amazing characters. In fact, I think it is safe to label this as one of my favourite friends-to-lovers reads.

Although I loved so many elements of the story, I think the characters were my favourite aspect. They went so well together, and had amazing chemistry. As individuals they were wonderful characters, but together they were fabulous. Each brought plenty of entertainment to the table, and I fell so deeply in love with them both.

Without a doubt, I loved this one. I cannot wait to pick up more Lily Kate in the future.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment