Tuesday 9 January 2018

Review: Waco: A Survivor's Story

Waco: A Survivor's Story Waco: A Survivor's Story by David Thibodeau
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

If the truth is to be known, I’m not the biggest lover of non-fiction books. I read so many academic books and journal articles that I find I much prefer the escapism offered up by fiction reads. I’m not too picky about the genre within fiction, obviously I have favourites but I do read around, but I almost always pick up fiction over non-fiction. There are exceptions, of course. When a book covers an interesting topic I’m willing to give the book a try.

Waco: A Survivor’s Story caught my interest as I knew almost nothing about the event. It’s American history before my time, therefore my knowledge is not up to the level I would like it to be. British history I can do much better with, but I have a lot of blanks in my American history. Thus, I was more than willing to dive into the book and find out more.

Waco: A Survivor’s Story was a very informative read, giving me much more information on the event than I originally had. I would not call myself an expert in the event, even after reading the book, but I do know more than I did before. Moreover, being told from the perspective of a survivor of the event gives readers a very different insight into what happen. It’s not just the actual event this story covers, it also includes information both before and after what happened, providing a much bigger picture of all that occurred and how things came together.

Without a doubt, this was an interesting read. Anyone interested in American history should give this book a read, and then go on to watch the mini-series that is being created, to get a better understanding of the event.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment