Saturday 27 January 2018

Review: A Face in the Crowd

A Face in the Crowd A Face in the Crowd by Lynda La Plante
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

A Face in the Crowd is the second Prime Suspect book, and my feelings towards this one are just as mixed as my feelings towards the first book. Possibly more so.

In truth, did I not own the Prime Suspect omnibus I probably would not have read A Face in the Crowd. However, with book two starting a couple of pages after book one I found myself intrigued. I may not have been overly excited about reading the second book, but a part of me wished to see what came next. Plus, I do not consider three-star ratings a reason not to pick up the second book in a series. Such makes books a low priority, but there is the possibility. This possibility was made real, albeit after a bit of time, through book two being owned.

Unlike the first book, I did not go into this one with high expectations. I think a part of the reason I was so disappointed with the first book is that I expected great things. With the popularity around Prime Suspect, I expected to have my mind blown. Entering book two, I set my standards much lower.

When it comes down to my feelings, they are divided. Some elements of this book I enjoyed more than I enjoyed them in the first book. Other elements I enjoyed less than I enjoyed them in the first book. It seemed to be a bit of a trade-off, meaning my feelings towards this book are quite similar as my feelings towards the first book. At a push, I would say I enjoyed this one more than the first book – however, it’s only by a small fraction. Neither book blew my mind, but I can say I have read them.

What I enjoyed more about this one was the crime element. There was a bit more mystery with this one, a better criminal storyline. I enjoyed how the first book was somewhat different to the norm, but this one was more in line with what I like. It provided a whodunnit that left you curious about a number of the characters. I also feel as though more elements were brought in, ensuring you were interested in how the elements mixed.

However, I feel as though there were some elements of the storyline that were unnecessary. I know some people like to have political issues brought into their books, but I did not enjoy it with this one. It could have been interesting, considering the topic, but I felt as though it pulled away from interesting elements of the story. In other words, I feel as though certain aspects could have been done without – or they could have been done much better.

As with the first book, though, I feel as though it is an issue of the way topics are dealt with being dated. With the first book I was annoyed by the sexism – in this book I was annoyed by the racism. These things happen, but I dislike the way they are dealt with in these stories. I cannot help but question what will be used in the third book. Homophobic commentary? It feels like too much. It feels as though a message is trying to be sent, yet the wrong one is being received.

As I have book three I will read it, but I’m not overly excited for it.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment