Friday 12 January 2018

Review: The Frozen Queen: Reluctant Heir

The Frozen Queen: Reluctant Heir The Frozen Queen: Reluctant Heir by Bekah Clark
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Last year I was introduced to Bekah Clark, and quickly found myself to be quite the fan. I read The Hawk In Winter, the first book in the Rise of the Hawk series, and really enjoyed it. I then read The Stone Sisters: Lyssa, and found another series I would be following. Then came The Healer and the Warrior, my favourite of my Bekah Clark reads to date, and I’m overjoyed by the possible books that will turn The Healer and the Warrior into the first in a series. Having enjoyed all my Bekah Clark books, I knew I would need more. Thus, when my laptop broke at the start of this year, and with it I lost my list of when I had reviews due, I decided to start my year off with a bang – I decided to dive into The Frozen Queen: Reluctant Heir, starting my year off with another Bekah Clark read.

As with my three prior Bekah Clark books, this was another fun read. I would not label it my favourite – as I’ve said, The Healer and the Warrior holds that title – but it was enjoyable. In fact, I’m super excited to see where the series goes from here. There are so many things I wish to find out more about, so many suggestions of what is to come have been made, and I cannot wait to see how everything comes together for this one.

The Frozen Queen: Reluctant Heir has all the things you can expect from a great fantasy read. There are lots of characters with interweaving storylines, there are many plotlines to follow, there is intrigue and drama, there are politics to come to terms with, there is history to catch up on, and all the other goodies that make a fantasy book come to life. What I found surprising with this one, however, is how easy it was to follow all the details. I’m not one to shy away from convoluted details, the kind you often find in the big fantasy books, but it was nice to experience all the same kinds of things without getting lost. You get the drama of the court and those in power without being lost under hundreds of details about every single member of their family going back a thousand years. The characters are brought to life without you being lost under all the excess details you normally find in these kinds of fantasy reads. In other words, it was a refreshing read – it is a perfect read for fantasy fans who do not wish to get buried under the understanding of another new world.

Whilst such makes it a nice and easy read, in many ways, we all know such is just one element of the story. Being easy to understand is all well and good, but you need a story that grips you. I can assure you, there is plenty within this story that will leave you intrigued and wanting more. The characters, for one, go through so much development within this story. You may start off with mixed feelings towards the characters, but by the end you will really appreciate how much our characters grow throughout the story. The connections you make to the characters as the story develops and choices are made really pulls you into the story, leaving you feeling like part of the world. With so much going on, with so many things introduced, you cannot help but be lost within the storyline.

I’m positive the future books in this series will be wonderful – and at the same time, I’m fearful of how some things will play out, as I know I do not want to experience some of the things that are to come. Without a doubt, I’m eager to get hold of the next book in The Frozen Queen series once it is ready for the world to enjoy.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment