Tuesday 30 January 2018

Review: Hold on Tight

Hold on Tight Hold on Tight by J. Kenner
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Hold on Tight is the second book in J. Kenner’s Man of the Month series, and it’s even more fun than the first book. After finishing book one, Down on Me, I was excited for more. I was convinced this would be a collection of novels that would bring so much fun – and this book has only solidified my feelings.

The Man of the Month series is a collection of interconnected romance stories, proving favourites as a larger story plays out. Each novel features a favourite romance trope, ensuring there is something for everyone. The first book, Down on Me, provided us with the friends-to-lovers trope; this second book, Hold on Tight, provides us with the second chance romance. Although each book is an individual story with a start and an end, I would recommend reading these books in order. To understand some of the details of the story in full, you need to understand how things came to be throughout the first book. You’re certainly told, to ensure you have the basic facts to understand the story, but it is not the same as experiencing all that happened – for a bigger picture, read Down on Me. After all, it’s a fun book, one you will not regret reading.

Like the first story, you knew how things were going to play out in this one. You know how the trope plays out, and you know our male lead will be February’s man of the month. Despite this, the smaller details quickly pull you in. You know where things are going, but you want to see how things will come together. In fact, there were more surprising elements to this one than the prior book. Nothing overly shocking, but there were details that certainly added extra layers to the story.

My only real issue with this book was the final chapter. There was an underlying story throughout this one that was somewhat darker than I’d expected, and the way it was dealt with in the end disappointed me. It felt as though the author realised it needed to be brought to a close, but did not put the same amount of effort into close the one detail as they did closing off the rest of the story. I really adored our characters in this one, their story was amazing, but I was disappointed in how one of the significant elements ended.

Overall, though, I loved this one. I’m so excited for the rest of the series – we were introduced to even more potential couples that may come into play later in the book, and I cannot wait to see how each of the tropes play out. Up next in book three, Need You Now, we have a brother’s best friend story – if the epilogue is any indication of what is to come, it’s going to be another wonderful read.

Bring on Need You Now!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment