Sunday 14 January 2018

Review: Royal Ruin

Royal Ruin Royal Ruin by Jessica Peterson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Jessica Peterson started her life as an author writing historical fiction, before moving on to new adult romance. I have yet to pick up her historical fiction (The Hope Diamond trilogy is certainly something I want to read, though), but I adored her new adult romance (in fact, the Study Abroad series is one of my favourite new adult romance series). Now, though, with Royal Ruin, Jessica Peterson steps into a slightly different genre. We have moved from new adult romance to plain old contemporary adult romance (although this book is anything but ‘plain old’).

Royal Ruin is the first book in the Flings With Kings series, and I’m sure it has come at a time where shelves will be overflowing with royal romances. Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have the world in love with the royals all over again. What I am about to say next will shock many, however… I’m not overly interested. I find the British public is split into two categories – we either love the royals or we are rather indifferent. I fall into the latter category. I can appreciate the love some people have for them, I can understand why so many are invested in the lives of the royals, but I can read an article about them and turn my attention to something else all within a blink of the eye.

I’m sure you’re now asking why I decided to pick up a royal romance read.

Although Royal Ruin has come along at a time where I’m sure everyone is considering a royal romance book, this one has actually been on my radar for quite some time. We were introduced to the leading characters in the Study Abroad series, we’ve just been waiting a while for their story to be told. Do not feel as though you need to read the Study Abroad series to understand this one, though. They were introduced, but they were never the focal point of the story. We got enough to leave us intrigued, but you will not be at a disadvantage if you simply read the Flings With Kings series. That being said, I would certainly recommend reading the Study Abroad series – as I’ve already said, it’s one of my favourite new adult romance series.

I’ll tell you right now that I had very high hopes for Royal Ruin. I was hyped up in so many ways, I was counting down until I could get my hands on the book and stick my nose in it. I couldn’t wait to read the story of Kit and Emily – and I was not at all disappointed. I believe Lessons in Letting Go still holds the title of my favourite Jessica Peterson book (mainly because the issues dealt with throughout the book touched extremely close to home), but Royal Ruin is certain up there near the top. I have loved all my Jessica Petersen books thus far, but I think it is safe to place Royal Ruin in my top three.

You see, this book had so much. Emotion, humour, steamy scenes, wonderful characters, and a whole list of other goodies that will pull you in and leave you wanting more. It is a book worthy of devouring, one you will find it near-impossible to put down. Starting this book at three in the morning really wasn’t the best idea I’ve ever had, as it soon developed into a night of no sleep as I worked to see how everything came together.

Honestly, this book was wonderful. I could list so many things that made it an absolute delight, but I’m going to list my top three things – otherwise this review will end up becoming a real whopper like my review of Lessons in Letting Go turned out to be.

So, up first, the thing I loved the most about this book – the humour. Oh my gosh – boy, did I giggle. I read this after finishing a book labelled as a rom-com, yet I giggled more throughout this book than I did in my rom-com read. There are so many laugh out loud scenes, so many things you will want to read over and over. Without a doubt, this is the most humorous book Jessica Peterson has written to date. I’ve had some giggles throughout all of her books, but never as many as I had throughout this one. It’s not a pure rom-com, but some of the scenes will certainly have you wishing for a Jessica Peterson rom-com in the future (petition to make this a reality, please).

Number two – the characters. I was excited for Kit and Emily from the moment I met them in the Study Abroad series, but nothing could have prepared me for their story. They were such a perfect fit for each other, and I loved every moment of their interactions. There was so many volatile emotions flying, so much pure feeling throughout. Jessica Peterson always pulls your emotions, but this is a thing of pure beauty. The relationship between the two is a study in contrasts – so hot and steamy, yet so wonderfully sweet. The two should not merge as beautifully as they did in this story, and yet Jessica Peterson more than managed to make this a wonderfully steamy sweet read.

The third and final thing I’ll mention is something I love about all of Jessica Peterson’s work. Although this is a romance story, there is also a much deeper message at the heart of it. It’s not the kind of story to preach at you – Jessica Peterson is not that kind of author – but it does have more elements to it than just the boy meets girl you sometimes find in romances. A boy meets girl story is all well and good, but I prefer a romance story with depth. Jessica Peterson certainly gives us that – every single time. With this one, it isn’t just a story of falling in love with another – it is a story of falling back into love with love. We fall back in love with love, our characters find themselves again, and so much more depth is added through the story through these elements.

Without a doubt, I loved this story. It is another winner from Jessica Peterson, and I cannot wait until I can pick up the next book in the Flings With Kings series. I know whatever comes next will be another mind-blowing read. Hell, I’m waiting for the day where Jessica writes me into a story. Then I’m going to find some kind of magic to turn her words into a reality. Because, without a doubt, if my love story was written by Jessica Peterson I know it would be a thing of beauty – and that right there, is why I will always come back for more.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment