Friday 26 January 2018

Review: Unwanted

Unwanted Unwanted by Leigh Lennon
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

If I had to use just two words to describe Unwanted they would be heartbreakingly beautiful. Fortunately, I do not need to limit myself to just two words. The synopsis alone is enough to suggest just how intense this book is going to be – but even that fails to prepare you for this story that will really test your ability to read the hard-hitting subjects.

Although Unwanted is a wonderful book you can read as a standalone novel, I would suggest reading the prior stories connected to this one. Leigh Lennon introduces us to Justine in and Nick in Unfiltered, and without that book you will be a bit confused about the eclectic family in Unwanted. In fact, I would also recommend reading Unacquainted, as references are made to characters and events best understood if you have read the prior book. All in all, this is a wonderful standalone but the impact will be stronger if you read this series of interconnected standalone novels in order. Trust me, it’s a wonderful series and you will not regret taking the leap.

Being my third Leigh Lennon book, I had an idea of what to expect with this one. I knew it would be an intense read, one that would hit all my emotions, but even with that knowledge in my mind I was not prepared for the story I was given. Leigh Lennon has broken me in some way with all three books following this family, but neither of the prior books hit me as hard as this one – which is saying something, as the two prior books were really heavy reads themselves.

You see, Leigh Lennon deals with real life. There is good and there is bad in life, and Leigh Lennon addresses the latter. There is still beauty to be found, but to get to the beauty Leigh Lennon shows how life is not a stroll through the part. You will have to face things head on, you will need to feel, and it may not be the path you want to take. Due to this, I cannot fault Leigh Lennon’s book for the real emotions elicited throughout the stories.

Unwanted, though… wow.

The emotions will hit you on every page. Every. Single. Page. The emotions do not let up, and you will be an emotional mess by the end of the story. Although the prior two books made me feel, neither compares to the continuous onslaught of emotion fired at you throughout this book. It is painful to read at times, but it is beautiful in the pain.

In many ways, I would not label this book a romance like the prior two books. There is certainly romance throughout the book – in fact, it is very much a story of falling back in love with someone – but I feel as though it is better described as a solid piece of contemporary fiction. It deals with real life issues, and it does so in an amazing way. The romance is secondary to the intense events, merely something that is already in place and is tested. It is a beautiful romance, I cannot deny that, but it is not the focal point of the story.

Honestly, I could say so much about this one. It was beautiful in so many ways, and you really do need to have a box of tissues ready, but I do not want to say more. I do not wish to be the person to spoil the book – so just know I’m forewarning you of how heartbreakingly beautiful this story is.

Without a doubt, this is my favourite book following this family thus far, and I cannot wait to pick up the next book.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment