Friday 12 January 2018

Review: Where There's Smoke

Where There's Smoke Where There's Smoke by Becky McGraw
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I’ve recently become quite the fan of Becky McGraw’s Deep Six Security series, although I’m not as up to date as I would like to be. In fact, I’ve been reading the books out of order. Nevertheless, all the Becky McGraw books I have read thus far have been enjoyable. I did plan to work through the Deep Six Security series – hopefully trying to find some kind of order – but I soon found myself reading Where There’s Smoke.

Where There’s Smoke is a very different read to the books in the Deep Six Security series, but I found it to be just as enjoyable. It may be number six in the Cowboy Way series, a novella in a series I have yet to start, but I found it to work perfectly fine as a standalone novel. In fact, it simply worked to show me Becky McGraw is going to leave me addicted to all of her work. The Deep Six Security series will be just one addiction, with the Cowboy Ways series being another, and I’m positive I’ll find myself picking up other Becky McGraw books I will be addicted to in the future.

Although it is a very different kind of story to those I have read in the Deep Six Security series, I found it to have some of the same elements – elements that clearly make it a Becky McGraw book. We have wonderful characters with amazing chemistry, a plotline that grips you, and heavy emotions throughout the story. This may be a western romance, but it also deals with issues outside of the normal western romance tropes. I find this is often the case with Becky McGraw novels – you have one main element that is the intrigue throughout the storyline, and then there are heavier issue that come into play and wrap around the romance. It really does make for a wonderful kind of storytelling, and it is no surprise I find Becky McGraw books to be single sitting reads.

Although this is a novella, one you can complete in no time at all, it does hit you hard. There is so much fun to be had throughout this book – you’ll come to really love the characters and the events will leave you wanting more – that you’ll soon find yourself picking up other books in this series if you have yet to do so.

Overall, this was another wonderful Becky McGraw read. I’m not sure which Becky McGraw book I will pick up next, but there is no question of me picking up more of her work.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment