Wednesday 28 November 2018

Review: Destiny Rising

Destiny Rising Destiny Rising by Siobhan Davis
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Siobhan Davis is one of my favourite authors, and the True Calling series was the only series of hers I had not read. Thus, I’ve recently amended that issue. Although it was a decent series, I can honestly say it is not my favourite Siobhan Davis read. Without a doubt, Siobhan Davis has come a long way since writing the True Calling series.

Even though I was not crazy about the two prior books, I did give them both three-star ratings. A part of me considered doing so with Destiny Rising, but I couldn’t quite bring myself to do so. There were times when it was a three-star rating, but as a whole it wasn’t quite all there. It was more of a two-point-five-star read, yet I opted to round down.

I think my biggest issue is that I never found myself invested in the characters and their stories. I’ve been over the love triangle thing for a long time, and the love triangle in this series failed to grab me. Add in the fact we had love triangles across multiple generations with this one and I found myself unable to get into the good stuff.

In many ways, I feel as though the whole love triangle drama overshadowed what could have been a very interesting story. I expected lots of action and plenty of twists with this one, yet things came together too quick and too easily for my liking. It seemed like bringing together the main storyline took a backseat to dealing with the love triangle, and things were resolved in the most basic of ways.

Overall, the True Calling series was a decent series even though it was not my favourite Siobhan Davis read. It kept my attention throughout, and I was happy to continue reading. I know there was a planned spin-off series, which has been put on hold, but should it be written I’m interested in giving it a read.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment