Friday 9 November 2018

Review: One Knight Stand

One Knight Stand One Knight Stand by Jessica Prince
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I’ve previously read Jessica Prince’s Enticing Daphne and found it to be an enjoyable read. I wasn’t crazy about it, but I enjoyed it enough to pick up another of the author’s work. Although I enjoyed One Knight Stand, I had been hoping for a wee bit more.

If I’m being completely honest, this book is more of a three-point-five-star read. Part of me wanted to round up, as in the end I found myself enjoying this one, but as it took so long for me to get into this one – and there were fears I would not be able to finish – I rounded my rating down instead of up.

Although One Knight Stand is a standalone novel, there are clear links to other Jessica Prince books – one series in particular. Although you do not need to have read these other books to enjoy this one, I do feel as though certain elements would have been more enjoyable had I read the other books. As it was, I feel as though I did not get the full impact of the story. It was enjoyable, but some of the history between the characters would have been more enjoyable if I’d known about their backstories.

This was not the reason why I found the book so difficult to get into, though. My issue was the way in which the story was told. We flickered between first and third person perspectives depending upon who we were following, and that made it difficult for me to be sucked into this one. I found the constant change of person jarring, with one point of view feeling better written than the other.

Another thing that made it difficult for me to get into this one was the storyline didn’t do anything for me at first. The whole reason why our male lead was being harassed by the media felt a bit silly to me. Fifty Shades has made BDSM very mainstream, in many ways, and I feel as though people were overly shocked for something very soft. After all, it seemed more like rough sex than actual kink – but that’s just my view. Thus, I wasn’t invested in the reasoning. When things did appear that I found myself more interested in, I felt as though they did not have the powerful impact they could have. There was the chance to deal with some heavy issues, and I feel as though they were not given the depth they could have been.

By the end of the story, though, I did find myself rather enjoying myself. I wasn’t in love with the book in the way I could have been, but it did win me over.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment