Friday 2 November 2018

Review: Starie Night

Starie Night Starie Night by Sarah K.L. Wilson
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I’ve been addicted to the Dragon School series since I jumped into the first book and am super eager to see how everything comes together. However, the last few books in the series haven’t wowed me in the same way the early books did. In fact, the last few books have received three-star ratings from me. Although I have given this one a three-star rating, also, it was the closest I have been to handing out a four-star rating in a few books.

Dragon School: First Flight, book one, sucked me completely into the world – it was so much more than I’d expected, and I couldn’t wait to get more. Dragon School: Initiate, book two, sucked me in even deeper – it showed me there was more to the story than I’d originally thought, ensuring I would pick up the next. Dragon School: The Dark Prince, book three, was a very important book in the series – it may not have been my favourite book, but it was vital to the overall story. Dragon School: The Ruby Isles, book four, continues to move things forward in a wonderful way – it may not be my favourite of the stories, but it is another important addition. Dragon School: Sword, book five, was another brilliant read, adding more to the series – it was also the book that reminded me why I was following the series in the first place, pulling me back in after a short hiatus.

Dragon School: Dusk Covenant, book six, added plenty of new twists – more than enough to ensure I remained ensnared with the story. Dragon School: First Message, book seven, brought even more to the table – more was added to the storyline, plenty of things leaving me curious as to what would come next. Dragon School: Warring Promises, book eight, left on a serious cliff-hanger – all the books leave on a cliff-hanger, but this was probably the biggest of them all. Dragon School: Prince of Dragons, book nine, was one of my least favourites in the series, but it continued to move things forward for us.

Dragon School: Dark Night, book ten, was one of my favourites in the series, increasing the level of intensity and leaving us with so many expectations. Dragon School: Bright Hopes, book eleven, was a pivotal book in the series, giving us so many new twists and making so many promises for the future. Dragon School: Mark of Loyalty, book twelve, blew all the prior books out of the water, earning it the label as my favourite in the series. Dragon School: Dire Quests, book thirteen, didn’t quite live up to the potential, but I did give it a rounded up three-point-five-star rating. Dragon School: Ancient Allies, book fourteen, was another rounded up rating. Dragon School: Pipe of Wings, book fifteen, was my least favourite, one I was unable to round up despite my desire to do so.

Dragon School: Dragon Piper, book sixteen, came close to being rounded up, but I couldn’t quite bring myself to do so. Dragon School: Dust of Death, book seventeen, felt like a bit of a filler book as not much happened. Dragon School: Troubled War, book eighteen, inched back towards what I liked about the series, but it wasn’t quite there. Dragon School: Starie Night, book nineteen, came extremely close to receiving a four-star rating, but it didn’t quite pack the punch that a penultimate book should.

With Dragon School: Starie Night, we moved back towards the kind of action and drama we were given in the earlier books. This book started off a bit slow, with quite a lot of talk occurring, but once we got down to it a decent amount happened. In fact, plenty happened to keep us crossing our fingers about how everything would come together. This is why I came close to rounding my rating up instead of down. However, as this is the penultimate book, I felt as though things should have been pulled together a bit more than they were. So much has been left open for the last book, and I feel as though we’re not going to get all our answers. In fact, I fear it's going to be a case of needing to continue into ‘season two’ to get all the answers – and I’m really not sure how I felt about that.

Although Dragon School: Starie Night was one of the more enjoyable Dragon School books of the last few releases, I do feel as though it wasn’t quite everything a penultimate book should be.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment