Saturday 3 November 2018

Review: Twelve Days of Winter: Crime at Christmas

Twelve Days of Winter: Crime at Christmas Twelve Days of Winter: Crime at Christmas by Stuart MacBride
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I’ve had Stuart MacBride’s Twelve Days of Winter sitting on my Kindle for a couple of years now, and each year around Christmas I tell myself to dive in and give it a read. I constantly find myself caught up in other books, though, and by the time I get around to it Christmas is already over. Thus, I decided I would read it early this year. It may only be the start of November, and I’m very much someone who believes such a date is too early for festivities, but I wanted to make sure I was able to read it this year.

Twelve Days of Winter provides us with twelve short stories that link together to give us a gritty tale told in the days leading up to Christmas. Some of the stories are better than others, but all have the usual Stuart MacBride darkness thrown in to keep us interested in reading more.

If I’m being honest, my ratings for these stories vary. I read them back-to-back and as a whole had an almost four-star experience (so close that I had to round my rating up), but individually we have three-star, three-point-five-star, and four-star ratings. Some were more enjoyable than others, and if you read them alone they are simply decent reads. It’s when you read them together that the best effect is had, giving us something that ties together in a great way.

Although Twelve Days of Winter will never be labelled my favourite Stuart MacBride read, it certain kept me hooked throughout.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment