Saturday 10 November 2018

Review: Gargoyle

Gargoyle Gargoyle by Scarlett Dawn
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I’ve rather enjoyed Scarlett Dawn’s Origin series thus far, and the Scarlett Dawn book in The Complex series, which left me curious to see how Scarlett Dawn’s Woodland Creek story played out. With how interesting the Woodland Creek series sounded, I was pretty eager to dive in.

If I’m being completely honest, this was more of a two-point-five-star read rather than the two-star rating I gave it. I was invested but I wasn’t crazy about it, and this is why my rating was rounded down rather than up. I’m certainly curious about the other books in the series and will continue to read Scarlett Dawn, but this one failed to wow me in the way I had hoped.

I think my biggest issue is things were never as clear as I had hoped they would be. The world was interesting, but I had more questions than answers in the end. I felt we only touched the surface, and what we were introduced to was never explained in full. Had things been clearer on that front, had I understood the world and dynamics better, I would have been happy to round up instead of down.

It still would have been a three-star rating, though, as I wasn’t as invested in the characters and their story as I had hoped to be. Things were too fast and the connection never really developed. Everything was instant, and I never felt any of the things I had hoped to. There was potential, but I wasn’t invested.

Overall, Gargoyle is far from my favourite Scarlett Dawn read but I was invested enough to finish this in a single sitting.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment