Tuesday 1 October 2019

Review: What Heals the Heart

What Heals the Heart What Heals the Heart by Karen A. Wyle
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Karen A. Wyle’s What Heals the Heart is a historical romance that does not feel like a historical romance. Although you know a romantic relationship between certain characters is the end outcome, for a lot of the book it feels like a historical novel without the romance element.

Why is this? It’s simple. Karen A. Wyle does not fill the book with the usual things seen in historical romances. I do not need to list the expected aspects, as anyone who has read any historical romance will know the checklist that seems to exist. It made for a nice change, although it did mean this one didn’t feel much like a romance for much of the story. I admit to waiting a while for the romance to really start, finding myself wanting a bit more there, but when I came to realise all the other details included in this one, I found myself invested in other aspects of the story.

In fact, I was more invested in other elements of the story than I was in the romance. There was plenty within this one that leaves you curious about how things will play out, plenty of elements that leave you turning the pages for more. You’re sucked into the lives of the characters, you come to enjoy the town, and you’re happy to see how everything plays out.

As much as I loved all that went on, I’m going to be honest and say this is a rounded down three-point-five-star read. It made me realised whilst different is good in historical romance, I’m more a lover of the usual bodice-rippers. What Heals the Heart was great for something different, but it wasn’t quite for me. That being said, it was a great read and I’m sure many will love this.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment