Friday 21 June 2019

Review: The Bear and the Nightingale

The Bear and the Nightingale The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

The Bear and the Nightingale is a book I’ve always been unsure about. On the one hand, so many people adore the Winternight trilogy. On the other hand, the book never screamed out to me. In the end, I opted to borrow it from the library to sate my curiosity.

I’m going to be honest and say I expected more from this one. I can understand why so many people enjoy this series, but it did not do for me what it seemed to do for so many other people. It was an interesting story, but I was never invested in it.

The story was slow, which is fine, but I felt like I waited too long for the pay off. I may have been fine with this, but I never cared about the characters. I did not care for them or what was happening, and it felt like a chore to work my way through this one. In fact, I lost interest so often I skimmed at points – something I hate doing.

Overall, this was very much a case of ‘it’s me, not you’.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment