Monday 3 June 2019

Review: Wicked Games

Wicked Games Wicked Games by Vivian Wood
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Wicked Games appealed to me the moment I stumbled upon it. There was so much that suggested I would love it, and I was happy to dive into this one and devour it.

Unfortunately, it’s one of those cases where the book failed to live up to my expectations.

Wicked Games had the potential to be a wonderful read, yet I fear things were too undeveloped for me to ever fall in love with the story. There were numerous individual elements I should have loved, but I feel as though nothing reached the point I wanted it to. Things often felt like they were introduced then spoken about later, only we never got to experience the happening and developing of these elements. It made it difficult to enjoy these things when I never felt like I was getting to see them.

Add in the fact I did not care about any of the characters and I was indifferent to the whole thing. Even the mystery element of the story felt flat to me. It was cliched and obvious, and I was disappointed by how easily everything came together.

I think another thing that made it difficult for me was the number of inconsistencies in the story. I know I read an early copy, but the number was much higher than I’m used to. I really hope they’re all fixed by the time the final version goes out, as they were really distracting. I mean, there was one point where it gave us someone’s birth and death as 1997-2018 and in the very next sentence it said they were eighteen. It’s really obvious things like that, meaning I spent more time in proof reader mode than in pleasure reader mode. Not that I let such things impact my rating when I read an early copy of a book, but it was so obvious with this one I had to mention it.

Overall, I’m sure Wicked Games will appeal to many, but it wasn’t what I had been hoping for.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment