Tuesday 4 June 2019

Review: Bird Box

Bird Box Bird Box by Josh Malerman
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Bird Box has been on my to-read list for far too long. With all the hype surrounding the story, I’ve been curious since I first stumbled upon it. Although I was curious, I was a bit nervous.

The first point of nerves came from the potential I would find this one to be overhyped. The second point of nerves came from my lack of enjoyment of the author’s Black Mad Wheel. Nevertheless, I remained curious and was happy to jump in.

Although I enjoyed the story and powered through it, I had been expecting a wee bit more from this one. It was addictive and left me turning the pages, but I was never as invested in it as I’d hoped to be. I think a part of this comes down to the fact my expectations were set so high. Everyone seems to adore this one, and I was ready to have my mind blown.

Yes, I enjoyed it. Yes, it was an addictive read. However, it wasn’t all I’d imagined it would be. It’s not a story that is going to linger with me now I’ve finished. It’s one I can say ‘yes, I’ve read that’ and that’s it.

I’m glad to say I’ve finally read it, but I’m not quite buying into the hype.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment