Wednesday 19 June 2019

Review: A Curse So Dark and Lonely

A Curse So Dark and Lonely A Curse So Dark and Lonely by Brigid Kemmerer
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Multiple things had me excited to dive into A Curse So Dark and Lonely. First, I’ve been having a weird time with my fantasy books recently and nothing has been wowing me in the way I’ve been hoping for. I’ve been trying everything to try and find something that will wow me, and I decided this would be my next step. Second, I’ve heard so many good things about this one. Not only was I in need of a fantasy book that wowed me, the things I was hearing about this one suggested A Curse So Dark and Lonely would be the book to pull me out of my slump. Third, I have a serious weakness for Beauty and the Beast retellings. The moment I see something is a Beauty and the Beast retelling, I’m all over the story.

Thus, I entered A Curse So Dark and Lonely with high hopes.

I was not disappointed. A Curse So Dark and Lonely grabbed me from the very first page and I could not put it down. It had all I love about Beauty and the Beast retellings, keeping me turning the pages at a rapid pace. I fell in love with the story and the world, and I could not get enough of it. Moreover, there were plenty of elements added to make this a unique read and not a repeat of the other stories out there.

In fact, there were elements I was worried about that played out well with this one. There were times when I did not think things were going to come together well, times where I thought things were not being shown in the way they could have been, only for them to be dealt with in an unexpected way. It was one of those refreshing surprises that made me look back at the things I questioned in a different light and made me realise how it made the book stand out from others in the genre.

Without a doubt, this one hooked me good. I cannot wait to get my hands on book two to find out what comes next.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment