Wednesday 26 June 2019

Review: No Fences in Alaska

No Fences in Alaska No Fences in Alaska by Glen Sobey
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

No Fences in Alaska is one of those books that is difficult to review. At the start, I wasn’t sucked into this one. As the book went on, I found myself more interested. Towards the end, my interest started to wane. There were some parts of this I really liked, and other parts I was indifferent to. I think, overall, it’s a case of ‘it’s me, not the book’, as I’m extremely picky with my young adult contemporary reads.

No Fences in Alaska is a book that deals with a lot of things, covering a range of topics. Some of these topics I feel were done better than others, and I think this comes down to how much was included in the story. Some elements received a lot more attention that others, which resulted in certain things feeling as though they were dragging and other things feeling as though they were over and done with in the blink of an eye.

Due to this, I never felt the connection with the characters I could have. I was certainly interested in seeing how things played out, I was curious what would happen in the end, but it was a case of curiosity about the story and not an investment in it.

As I said, this is really a case of ‘it’s me, not the book’. I’m sure many will love this book as it deals with so much throughout, but for me it didn’t quite connect.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment