Friday 21 June 2019

Review: Doves and Demons

Doves and Demons Doves and Demons by S.Marie Rose
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Doves and Demons, the first book in S. Marie Rose’s Taking Flight series, is a difficult book to rate. It’s one of those cases where I’m stuck between the three-star rating and the four-star rating, unsure as to whether my three-point-five-star rating is one I want to round up or down. In the end, I went with down. However, it was a very difficult choice to make.

You see, Doves and Demons had me hooked from the start. It was an interesting story and there was so much packed into it. It’s a story that leaves you turning the pages to see how everything comes together, and things will certainly leave you shocked and desperate for more when you reach the end. It was a book I powered through, one I devoured, and I certainly want to read book two.

However, the reason I opted to round down was because there were points when the book felt a bit too slow and times when the characters felt a bit on the juvenile side. It’s a big book, which I loved, but the slow points were more numerous than I would have liked. When a book is this length I prefer for there to be a bit more action than there was, or for the feelings to be a bit more intense. Add in the fact there were times when I felt the characters were thinking rather childish thoughts, and my choice to round my rating down is explained.

Of course, the reason for my rounding down are very much a case of personal taste. I’m a bit picky with my reading, and I know many people will not have a problem with the aforementioned aspects that left me rounding down. Despite this, I’m super excited to dive into book two and am of the firm belief it will be a much easier book to round up – if not a solid four-star rating – as there is so much promise.

Overall, Doves and Demons was a great start to the Taking Flight series.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment