Thursday 28 June 2018

Review: Moonlight Sins

Moonlight Sins Moonlight Sins by Jennifer L. Armentrout
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I’m going to be honest and say I was unsure as to whether I would read any more Jennifer L. Armentrout books after reading the Lux series. Sure, I gave the books four-star ratings – but this was more a reflection of my addiction than anything else. If I’m being completely honest, the books were more three-point-five-star ratings that were rounded up when I was in a good reading mood. As I like to give authors multiple chances, I decided I would give Jennifer L. Armentrout another read, this time in a different genre. Rather than reading a young adult paranormal book, I went for an adult contemporary book.

In truth, my feelings towards Moonlight Sins changed a lot throughout my reading. For the first quarter of the book, I feared I would be giving a two-star rating. By the time I was half way through, we had a solid three-star rating. At the seventy-five percent mark, I thought it was edging towards a four-star rating (a rounded-up rating, much like the Lux series). By the end of the book, it had dropped back down to a three-star rating. As I’m feeling generous, I will label this a rounded down three-point-five-star rating.

At first, I found this book to be extremely difficult to get into. I just didn’t care for the characters or the events at all. As the story progressed, I found it was the little things that grabbed my interest. I was intrigued by the mystery, although I did figure it out. I was pulled in by the potential supernatural aspects, the more gothic vibes, as this is something I adore. Although neither element was taken as far as it could have been, neither lived up to the expectations I had in my mind, they did leave me turning the pages. The main story, on the other hand, the romance between the two characters, I didn’t care for all that much.

In truth, it was the side characters I was more interested in, and this is why I will give book two a read. I’m not going to set my standards too high for the future de Vincent novels, but I have my fingers crossed that I will enjoy Moonlight Seduction more than Moonlight Sins.

Will I read other work by this author after having tried two different series? I’m really not sure. A few of her other books have interested me, but I always find myself drawn towards other books instead. If I’m being brutally honest, the number of editing errors I found throughout this one has left me fearful of whether I will get more of the same in other books.

If the truth is to be known, I doubt I will read much more Jennifer L. Armentrout. I gave her most popular series a read and it was decent enough for an addiction. I’ve now tried another series, and we’ll see how it goes. The main reason I picked up Jennifer L Armentrout in the first place is due to comparisons that have been made between her and Siobhan Davis. I adore the latter, and I think in the future I will just stick to the one I know I adore. That is not to say I will never pick up another Jennifer L. Armentrout book (as I said, I’m going to give the second in the de Vincent series a try), I simply believe I am unlikely to go out of my way when I have other authors in the genres she writes that I enjoy a lot more.

For fans of the author, though, I’m sure this is another enjoyable read.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment