Sunday 10 June 2018

Review: To All the Boys I've Loved Before

To All the Boys I've Loved Before To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

Jenny Han’s To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before is a book so many people seem to love. I’ve known about it for a long time – heard people talk about it, seen it as a recommendation, and generally had it in the peripheral of my attention – yet I was never really all that interested in it. It never really screamed out to me. However, I have the habit of diving into popular books simply to see what all the fuss is about.

Unfortunately, with To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before I cannot understand why so many people are in love with the book. This one took me far too long to get through – months, in fact, as I kept putting it down and picking it up as it was not holding my attention. As someone who powers through high fantasy tomes in the space of a couple of days (when I’m in the right mood, I can do them in a day), spending months on a young adult contemporary romance read shows you how difficult I found reading this one.

You see, I just did not care. I didn’t care for the characters or the story – I felt as though it was nothing but pining and whining, two things I don’t care for. So many people have labelled this book as cute, but for me it all felt rather flat and filled with excessive naivety.

I’m not the biggest lover of young adult contemporary to begin with, but this one is certainly up there in those I’ve enjoyed the least.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment