Saturday 30 June 2018

Review: Onyx of Darkness

Onyx of Darkness Onyx of Darkness by Norma Hinkens
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Norma Hinkens left me excited for more of her work after I found myself addicted to The Expulsion Project. It was a wonderful sci-fi series, but the promise of fantasy – in particular, my favourite fantasy aspect, dragons – meant I was more than willing to dive straight into the Keeper Chronicles.

With book one, Opal of Light, I found myself addicted to another Norma Hinkens story. With book two, Onyx of Darkness, I believe it is safe to say my addiction to this series is stronger than my addiction to The Expulsion Project. Honestly, I cannot wait to get my hands on book three – I’m so desperate to see how everything comes together in the Opus of Doom conclusion.

In Opal of Light we were introduced to a wonderful new world and set of rules, a world and magic system that develops even more in Onyx of Darkness. All we thought we knew about the world continues to grow in this second book, introducing us to more elements that will suck us in deep. We have twists on what we thought we knew, we have new elements introduced, and we have more of the stuff we came to enjoy so much in book one. Without a doubt, the world building in this series is solid, ensuring you’ll be turning the pages at a rapid pace to see what else you can find out. Although we do get some answers to questions that appeared in book one, at the end of book two we have just as many lingering questions that need to be answered in the conclusion. With some of the things that were introduced, you’re guaranteed to find yourself desperate for those answers.

The twist at the end, however, is probably what will have you most desperate to grab the final book. We were given answers to things that had been building throughout the first two books, confirming beliefs and leaving us excited for how the information will come into play, but it’s the unexpected twist that hits the hardest. It’s a serious ‘what comes next’ ending, much like the first book, ensuring I will be diving into Opus of Doom the moment it appears on my Kindle.

While there is plenty I want to see come together in the final book, with there being many things I want to see happen between the characters and lands, I think the biggest thing I’m holding out hope for is more dragon action. They’ve been there in the background, but I’m really hoping they come to the fore in the final book. As anyone who has read my other fantasy reviews will know, dragons are my biggest weakness in the genre, and I’m crossing my fingers for lots of dragon goodness in the final book.

Overall, Onyx of Darkness was a great second book in the Keeper Chronicles. I cannot wait to get my hands on Opus of Doom, as I’m in dire need of answers.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment