Sunday 3 June 2018

Review: The Eternity Cure

The Eternity Cure The Eternity Cure by Julie Kagawa
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The Eternity Cure is the second book in Julie Kagawa’s Blood of Eden series, and it was an enjoyable second book. If I’m being completely honest, I didn’t enjoy this second book quite as much as I had hoped, but it was a fun read. If nothing else, it left me extra excited to dive into the final book.

My introduction to Julie Kagawa came through the Talon series (which I really need to finish), yet the Blood of Eden series is the one that had caught my eye the most often. Being partway through both series, I can see the parallels starting to form between the two. In particular, I’m questioning whether Julie Kagawa had a particular formula she follows in regards to the male love interest. It seems to me that a very similar thing played out with both series, and I cannot help but question if the same thing will happen when I finally work my way around to reading The Iron Fey series. Such is just a thing I’m questioning, and I will not dig too deep into it, otherwise my review will move away from what you care about.

As a second book in a trilogy, The Eternity Cure does well to move the story forward and point us towards our ultimate goal. I feel as though there were times when the romance overshadowed the fun of the action, but I was able to deal with it. I may not be shipping the couple, but it was not as bad as I had feared it would be when it became clear this second book was going to focus upon developing the romance plot.

There was plenty of action throughout, and so much was opened up in these parts of the book. I really enjoyed the way the big evil developed throughout this story. We got to see so much more of the world, too, and came to understand things better. This was something I had hoped for in the first book, so I’m glad we got more of it.

I am a bit disappointed in one of the characters, though. One of the characters I expected to enjoy a lot in this one actually ended up being a bit on the annoying side. In so many ways I should have loved the character – he demonstrated may of the traits I tend to enjoy in characters – yet I found myself growing annoyed with him at points, wishing he would shut up and stop it with the commentary.

Overall, an enjoyable second book. I didn’t enjoy it quite as much as I enjoyed the first book, but it set up the final book really well.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment