Saturday 2 June 2018

Review: The Immortal Rules

The Immortal Rules The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Julie Kagawa is an author who manages to grab my attention on a regular basis. The Blood of Eden series has been on my to-read list for as long as I can remember, the book begging to be read from the moment I stumbled upon it. The Iron Fey series also caught my attention, not to the same degree but there has always been the lingering interest. The series that most caught my attention, however, was the Talon series – as a big lover of dragons, it is no surprise that was the series I decided to dive into first. When Talon made it clear I was to be a fan of Julie Kagawa, I decided it was more than reasonable to dive into another of her series. Thus, I grabbed the series that has been demanding my attention the longest – the Blood of Eden series.

Combing two of the most popular things from my childhood and teenage reading years – vampires and dystopian societies – I had high hopes for The Immortal Rules. At the same time, there was a bit of tentatively. I’ve seen similar combinations attempted in the past, and it can be a bit hit or miss as to whether it works.

Although this one wasn’t quite all I had hoped it would be, it was an enjoyable read. It certainly had me turning the pages, leaving me intrigued and more than willing to dive straight into book two.

For me, my big issue was that there was never as much action as there could have been. This, however, reflects my feelings towards the first Talon book, and a part of me believes such is just the way Julie Kagawa tells her stories. The first book sucks you in with all the information and allows you to peak at the action and drama that is to come, but if you really want to experience it in full you need to stick with the story.

Fortunately, there was plenty about this story that ensured I would be sticking around for book two. There were plenty of characters I want to see more of, storylines I want to see through to the end, and many questions I need answering. As long as the second book gives me more of what I want – more action, a better understanding of the world, and a continuation of the intriguing storyline that is playing out – I will be plenty happy with the series.

Overall, an enjoyable read.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment