Monday 16 December 2019

Review: Imaginary Friend

Imaginary Friend Imaginary Friend by Stephen Chbosky
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I belong to the minority, as I found The Perks of Being a Wallflower highly overrated. In fact, it’s one of the reads that disappointed me the most. I expected amazing things after all that was said about it, only to be let down.

However, I’m a fan of giving authors a second chance, which is why I decided to give Imaginary Friend a try. Stephen Chbosky offered a horror, something completely different to The Perks of Being a Wallflower, and I was ready for something else.

At first, I had high hopes for this one. It pulled me in, and I was intrigued. There was a lot of potential, and I was excited to have such a long book to power through. Unfortunately, the more I read the less I cared. This one dragged on far too much, and my interest faded. I put it down so many times, read and finished so many other books at the same time, and couldn’t bring myself to feel the investment I did when I started.

I love a good tome, but when books are this length everything needs to be important. Wasted words make the story seem longer than it is, and such is what happened here. It’s why I found myself enjoying this one less than The Perks of Being a Wallflower, leaving me with the conclusion Stephen Chbosky is not for me.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment