Tuesday 5 July 2016

Review: Blissful 1

Blissful 1 Blissful 1 by Clarissa Wild
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I hate it when stories are released in volumes. I favour full-length novels, being able to read the entire thing in one sitting. Despite this, I continue to download stories that are released in volumes and episodes. I don’t know why I do it – beyond the fact I’m more than a little bit masochistic when it comes to my reading habits, that is – but I continue to do such a thing.

With this one, however, I was surprised by how much actually happened. It’s only a third of the full story, but it does set up a lot for what more is to come in the future. Quite often, when books are released in volumes, the first can give us so little whilst giving us nothing at all. It is a strange paradox, one that occurs far too often, yet this one does not fall victim to such a thing.

It does, however, fall victim to some other cringe worthy factors.

There are so many stereotypes throughout. We have the typical fat girl views. We have the typical emotional turmoil. We have the typical secrets. We have the typical dark and murky past. There are other stereotypes, but you get the message. These things all roll together to make the book very… well, typical.

It was enjoyable, and offered a great start to the series, yet it wasn’t something that really stood out.

Whilst I’m interested to see where things go, I’m not going to go out of my way to find out more. If all three volumes had been released in one, instead of in parts, I would have happily continued all the way through. This start would have convinced me to finish until the end. However, I’m already looking at other reads.

Fun for a freebie, but I really need to learn to ignore the call of volume stories.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment