These ‘about me’ sections, or even sections that inform you about blogs, have never been my forte. Much to my chagrin, I was never taught the unwritten rules of what you are supposed to say. The links at the side of the blog – Twitter and Goodreads, for example – are liable to tell you more than I could ever say in words.

Mostly, this will be a book blog. I read a lot, and I love to share my views on my most recent reads. I try to read a little bit of everything, but if you look closely you’ll notice I will occasionally become obsessed with one specific genre for a short period of time. Old books, new books, yet to be released books – I read them all. If you’re an author looking for advance readers or just wish for more reviews of a book you’ve already released, please feel free to contact me. There is a contact form at the side of my blog – if you scroll down below the Twitter and Goodreads sidebar you will find it – so drop me a message and I’ll be sure to get back to you in double time. After all, finding new authors is what makes the book world go around.

Thanks for taking your time to read this. With a little bit of luck, you will find my blog much more interesting than this mundane introductory section.

Wednesday, 13 July 2016

Review: Enticed

Enticed Enticed by Ginger Voight
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

If I’m being completely truthful, two things pulled me towards this book. First, we have the word ‘free’. Whenever a book is free on Amazon, I click the ‘buy’ button. I cannot say no to freebies. Second, we have the cover. I know you should never judge a book by the cover, but this one was so pretty. Thus, I was pulled in by two aspects that aren’t overly related to the book. Despite this, I did want to enjoy this one.

From the start, I knew I wouldn’t enjoy it as much as I had hoped to.

By the end of chapter one, I’d decided that I did not like the main character. I could not tell you what in particular bugged me, but throughout the first two chapters my friend had a running commentary upon all the negativity I already felt towards her. As the book progressed, I came to enjoy her a bit more – but I never really came to enjoy her all that much.

In fact, I never really enjoyed any of the characters.

It seems to be the done thing nowadays, to create dislikeable characters. However, I really don’t believe such is what the author was aiming for. We were supposed to like the characters… yet I couldn’t. I cannot place my finger on what was the exact problem, but I never really came to like any of them. They all felt like too much. Whilst these views play in with the ending, I feel as though I was not supposed to have such negative views towards everyone from the start. You’re supposed to have mixed feelings, whereas I simply refused to like them.

Moving on, though, before I start to rant too much about this one aspect.

The story itself was okay. It wasn’t anything overly wonderful. In all honesty, had it not been for the ending, I would have considered it overly boring. There was some fun to be had, but I have read much better in other romance books. The ending was a great joy, though. I wasn’t really expecting such a revelation to come about at the end, and I’m pleased the author decided to do something different. It was a massive saving grace that I’m pleased for.

Still, even though it was a quick and easy read, I feel as though I forced myself through it. I know many will enjoy the story, but it simply wasn’t for me. I’d wanted something else, something more. Even the mature content was a let down – I’m really not sure why it says for eighteen plus, when I’ve read more detailed scenes in young adult books.

In the end, though, I doubt I’ll be reading the rest of the series as it wasn’t for me.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment