Tuesday 5 July 2016

Review: Marking Territory: A Somerset Novel

Marking Territory: A Somerset Novel Marking Territory: A Somerset Novel by Heather C. Myers
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Losing Myself In You. Marking Territory. An Education in Alpha.

Whatever name you call this book, it is the second of the Somerset novels. Fear not, though, it is not necessary to have read the first book. Whilst the first book does help with the world building, this book can be read as a standalone. The first book gave us a vampire tale, whereas this one gives us a werewolf tale. If you have a preference for one supernatural creature over the other, then by all means go for your preference, but I suggest reading both. They’re such fun stories.

I’ll admit, though, I did prefer the first book. Don’t get me wrong, this book was great. I simply favoured the romantic aspect of the first book. There seemed to be more to the first one, more interaction that left me with feels. Whilst this book is just as capable as leaving you wanting a specific outcome, I feel as though the first book gave us a little bit more. This, in part, comes from how picky I am when it comes to romance. I was enjoying the romance in this one – I just wanted more of it. I wanted the book to be longer, as I wanted more scenes between the two.

As with the first book, this is a forbidden romance case. The laws of the supernatural world heavily influence this story, leaving you curious throughout as to how it will play out in the end. When it comes to the laws of the supernatural world, it’s more than just the romantic aspect I’m talking about. The non-romantic aspect also focuses upon the ways of the world. In truth, I would have liked a little bit more. I feel as though this one was solved a little bit too quickly, that the non-romantic aspect of the story came about far too quickly when compared to the first book. One on the aspects of the first story was also repeated here. Whilst it played out differently, even though the outcome was slightly different, I did notice the repetition. I understand that it plays in with the laws of the world, but I did feel my heart drop when the same order came about.

Nevertheless, I thoroughly enjoyed it and plan to continue on with more of the author’s work.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment