Wednesday 13 July 2016

Review: The Last Necromancer

The Last Necromancer The Last Necromancer by C.J. Archer
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I honestly wasn’t expecting much from this one.

Freebies are very much a case of hit or miss. Either they will surprise you or you’ll question how you managed to work your way through the entire story. In all honesty, I hadn’t really been expecting this one to blow me away. The reviews for this book were such a mix and match that I really wasn’t sure what I was letting myself in for, but I was still curious to give it a read.

You can imagine my surprise when I found myself addicted to the story.

Don’t get me wrong, the book is far from perfect. I can understand why some people dislike the book. It isn’t for everyone. However, if you enter with an open mind, it’s rather fun. It’s very much your classical young adult fantasy story, but sometimes we just need such a read to keep us going.

The main story is super interesting. We have two sides battling over our main character due to their necromancer abilities. Quite quickly, our main character finds themselves in a bit of a tight spot and things quickly progress in a way that does not work favourably for our character.

I’ll admit that I was tentative at first. A decent proportion of our story glosses over the fantasy aspect. We know it is there in the background – after all, we are introduced to it at the start of the book – but it never really develops. This holds true for the entire book, and I’m somewhat disappointed that we did not get more specifics. I’m sure such will change in future books, but I was left wanting a little bit more. Nevertheless, when I realised such was to be the case, I managed to accept this fact. Fortunately, I was pulled into the rest of the story.

Moreover, I’m pleased about the romance aspect of the story. Whilst it is there, it is not shoved in your face as it is in other books. It sits below the surface. Again, I believe this is something that will change in future books. For now, I’m simply pleased that the romance did not overshadow the rest of the story, as I often fear to be the case with these kinds of stories.

As a whole, I thoroughly enjoyed this one. It was much more enjoyable than I’d expected, and a large part of me now wishes to go on and read the rest of the books.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment