Friday 29 July 2016

Review: Broken Heart

Broken Heart Broken Heart by Tim Weaver
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Brilliant, as ever. Tim Weaver has, once again, demonstrated why he is one of my favourite authors.

Before I go into a full review of this book, however, I wish to share one of my annoying stories. I really am sorry to those who have been reading a lot of my reviews recently, as it seem as though most of the books I’ve been reading have come with a story attached. This story, though, exists simply to show just how obsessed with the David Raker series I am.

I found Never Coming Back in the Asda two books for seven pounds deal back when it was first released, what I didn’t realise was that it was part of a series. Thus, I worked to amend that. It took me a while, but I finally worked around to buying the first three books. More often than I should be admitting to, I have read series in the wrong order. This often ends with spoilers, clues of where individual stories are heading. I did not want this to happen with the David Raker series. Now whilst I enjoyed the first book it wasn’t a crazy level of love. It was enough to ensure I carried on with the series, but I wasn’t pulling my hair out because I wasn’t already up to date with the books. The second book I enjoyed a lot more, ensuring I was a fan. By the time I made it to Vanished, book three, I was crazy about the series. Vanished is without a doubt my favourite in the series. There have been some close calls since, but I stand by Vanished being my favourite to date. Obviously, after finishing the third book I jumped straight into the fourth. It’s when we get to book five that my crazy obsession stories come into play.

Fall From Grace was realised around the same time as a book by one of my other favourite authors came out in paperback. When I made it to the store I brought them both, which resulted in a massive problem. It was already evening, and I didn’t know what I wanted to read first. I adored both of the books I’d purchased, desperate to see where both series were heading. Thus, I did the only reasonable thing: I stayed up all night reading them back-to-back. This is totally normal behaviour, though, so it wasn’t that bad… At least, it was tame compared to what happened with book six.

What Remains was a real doozy to get my hands on. I’m rather OCD when it comes to my books: if I start a series in hardback, it stays in hardback throughout; if I start in paperback, it stays in paperback throughout. Thus, I had to hold out on purchasing What Remains until it was realised in paperback to go with the rest of the series. I planned to head straight into the city to purchase it, yet I had a day of lectures and couldn’t go hunting until the late afternoon. By that time, almost everywhere in Aberdeen had sold out. The book was just that popular. There is no exaggeration when I say I walked miles to get my hands on the book, finally I found it hidden away in a corner in a Sainsbury’s. It was more than worth the trouble. What I did not realise is that trouble would occur with book seven, as well.

I was working on the day Broken Heart was realised, and I feared a repeat of my last escapade. Therefore, I sent my mother on a mission to find the book. I would like to point out that my mother lives hundreds of miles away, so she was getting strict instructions down the phone. I needed her to find me a very specific book so that when I came to visit I would be an exceptionally happy daughter. She did as I asked though, heading out to find me one. After work, I phoned to see whether she had managed to grab me one… only for there to be bad news. For some reason, her search had ended in a conversation of how the book would not be on the shelves for a while. Thus, I became a woman on a mission. Again, I searched Aberdeen. Fortunately, my search was much easier this time. Again, the trouble was worth it.

The trouble is always worth it with Tim Weaver.

Now, after hundreds of words rambling on to explain my love of – obsession with – Tim Weaver’s work, I will tell you all about Broken Heart.

From the get-go, I was pulled into the story, with Weaver doing what he always does: setting the scene, giving you glimpses of mystery, leaving you with many questions. What I especially loved about this story was the case. Tim Weaver always creates thrilling missing person stories, but this time it was outside the norm. What I mean is that the missing person did not fit the stereotype found in so many of these books. This time we have an older woman going missing, the reason for her disappearance completely unknown. It was a great change to the norm, showcasing once again how Tim Weaver can create a compelling story for any character.

When we’re given information regarding why our character went missing… well, the story did not go where I was expecting. It was wonderful, full of twists and turns. The story was beautifully interconnected, more and more being added on to the sordid tale until you fear no more can be added – only for Weaver to show you otherwise. Honestly, it was great. I cannot begin to explain all that is going on without doing the book an injustice. There’s a mix of the past and the present. Fears of what will happen and anxiety about what has occurred.

Moreover, the personal side of the tale continued to grow. I expected there to be more relating to the past book, about Colm, yet such a thing did not happen. That story was briefly mentioned, only one real aspect of it continuing on. Not the Colm aspect, the aftereffect of the events on David. As a person, throughout the books, he has really grown. I was crossing my fingers for certain things to happen in this one, for things to go a certain way… but to say anything specific about how I feel will tell you too much. Just know that if you’re really interested in the personal life of David things shift some in this book.

Honestly, I could go on and on about how beautiful the story is, but my words would never do it justice. From the start, we have mystery and action. The story progresses at a great pace, the information slowly being drip fed to us, leaving us wanting more whilst answers are slowly given.

If you haven’t started the David Raker series, I suggest you amend that now. There is no telling where Tim Weaver will go from here, all I know is that he’s writing consistently brilliant books and I plan to go out of my way to purchase them as soon as they come out. He has a fan for life in me, and you’ll be foolish not to jump on the bandwagon I’m proclaiming myself queen of.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment