Sunday 3 July 2016

Review: The Grass Cutter Sword

The Grass Cutter Sword The Grass Cutter Sword by C.J. Anaya
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I need the final book in the series, and I need it now.

Honestly, I cannot begin to explain all the feels I currently have. I thought it was bad after book two, but at least I had book three siting on my Kindle ready to read. Having finished this book, I now need to wait until the end of the year to get my hands on the final book in a series I have become more than a little bit addicted to. Seriously, I cannot begin to explain the love I have for this series.

I came across C.J. Anaya through a Goodreads giveaway for this series. Unfortunately, I did not win the series, but I did sign up for her newsletter. Through doing so, I received the first book and a short story. I had intended to read it for quite some time – but my to-read list is ridiculously long. Despite having not read any of her work, though, I signed up to join her advance read team when I saw she was looking for people to join. This meant I got to read her Marry Your Billionaire at the start of the year – and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I knew right then that I would be reading more of her work. Still, I didn’t pick this up right away. It had nothing to do with a lack of interest, rather I had so many advance reads to get through and there were so many new books I’d been waiting on, it just sort of feel to the bottom of my list. Not too long back, however, I noticed that C.J. Anaya was looking for people to review the series for her. Thus, I contacted her. I explained that I had the first book and would love to read the rest of the series. She was lovely enjoy to send me books two and three.

Then came the dreaded exam period that puts a dampener on bibliophiles. Despite wanting to read a book a day, such a thing isn’t really advised. Thus, it was put aside for a while.

Finally, however, I have got to work on the series. After finishing book one I knew I wanted more. However, what I did not expect was for me to find myself so crazy addicted to the second book. As soon as I was done reading it, I knew I needed to start book three. It didn’t matter than I was part way through three other books – I needed to see where things were going.

It is safe to say I was not disappointed.

I gave the first book four stars, yet there were points in which I wasn’t overly addicted to the book. I enjoyed it, but at times I felt as though I was rounding up to a four stars. In short, book one was enough to pull me into the series but it was a low rate four stars. Book two changed that completely. With book two, I was tempted to give a five star rating. In all honesty, I’m tempted to go back and change it to the five stars. Whilst I adored book three, book two is easily my favourite of the series. Don’t worry, though, book three is almost as strong. There is so much in this book – so many things come to light, so much information is given, and you’re well and truly put on the path towards a conclusion. Not enough to leave you positive of all the details, but enough to leave you curious to how it will turn out.

The third book in the series follows on from book two, but not instantly. I expected it to continue on exactly where book two ended, yet we move forward in time a bit. Events have progressed, but they’re only just reaching the drastic aspects that we want the information for. Basically, plotting and scheming had occurred between books two and three, and whilst we’re told of these things we don’t need to know all of the specifics. It’s important to accept that time has moved on, and whilst we may want to read through every emotional moment, we don’t need to know every interaction. At first, I was saddened by this, yet I quickly came to accepted it. You find out in no time at all that so much is happening in the moment. You don’t care that time has moved on, not with the plot twists that are thrown in.

I’ll be the first to admit that I saw a few things coming. In fact, there were some twist that I came to accept part way through book two, yet they have only just come to light. This isn’t a bad thing, though, as we’re not one hundred percent sure how certain aspects will end. Oh, there are plenty of suggestions, but my fingers are crossed that a wrench will be thrown into the works. Nevertheless, despite the slight predictability when it came to where some stories were heading, there were plenty of twists and turns thrown in. I really cannot begin to explain all the things that came about in this book. There was so much more than I was expecting. There were so many different things happening. To say anything at all will be to give spoilers – just know this is no filler book. This book builds up so much for the next book – in terms of romance, action, and general information.

So much happens.

I cannot reiterate that enough. There really is so much build-up. It’s not only build-up, but it also works to fill in the last pieces of our knowledge. As the second book set in the past, it fills in everything we need. I really will miss the cast of characters. I came to enjoy them more than I enjoyed the cast from the first book. I could read about these characters forever, they’re just so wonderful. Alas, I know it was necessary to move on. There is something big coming – the end guarantees that.

I really cannot wait to see what it is that comes next.

I really do need the next book sooner rather than later, as I stated at the start of this review. It’s a wonderful cliff-hanger of an ending, leaving you more than amped up about what is to come.

Bring on the final book! Whilst it will pain me to see the series end, I know something truly beautiful is in sight.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment