Friday 29 July 2016

Review: Falling Over You

Falling Over You Falling Over You by Heather C. Myers
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Before I get too deep into this review, I wish to make a quick point. This is one of those cases whereby I’ve rounded my rating up. It isn’t quite a full four stars, yet had I given it three it would have been an injustice. All in all, it was a bit over the three-point-five rounding down threshold. A very strong three, but not quite a full four.

As always, Heather C. Myers has created a wonderful love story. I’ve said this before, for one of her other books, but I’ll say it again. Heather C. Myers has a way of taking themes that have been done before, ideas that are already out there, and giving you something fresh. She puts her own spin on tales, meaning you get a classic notion with something very much unique to her. With this one, it’s a paranormal tale. It’s a tale of falling in love with a ghost. Just what can you do when you’re the only one who can see someone, the only one who can hear someone, the only one who can feel someone?

I’ll admit, the main reason it isn’t quite a full four star rating is due to the ghostly element of the tale. I know that Heather C. Myers can write the supernatural aspect of her stories. I’ve seen it done wonderful in some of her other tales, where she truly brings the supernatural creatures to life. For me, however, in this one, she fell a bit short. I feel as though the ghost aspect was underdeveloped, that it could have been explained better. I feel as though there were some inconsistencies in the way things were working, in the rules applied to the ghost. It felt, at points, as though the rules changed in regards to what was convenient for the scene. Due to this, I would have liked something set, some guidelines, as to how things were to work out.

Despite this, it was a fun tale. Whenever I noticed something that left me questioning the rules of the ghostly world, I forced myself to pay extra attention to the story. It was an interesting one, with all the amusement and drama you can expect from a Heather C. Myers story. As always she sets the romantic scene, allowing us to watch as our characters come to the realisation we’re waiting for. Truthfully, I’d expected the ending to be different. I knew what to expect in terms of the romantic ending, but I wasn’t sure how the specifics of it would play out. I knew certain things would come to light, that certain information would be given, but the actual act of how the two came to be… I was expecting something different. Whether this is a good or bad thing, I cannot say for sure. Technically, it’s not bad; I’d just convinced myself that something else would play out. Nevertheless, I was content with the ending.

Overall, it was another great Heather C. Myers read.

As a final note, I would like to thank the author for allowing me to advance read this one in exchange for a review.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment