Friday 15 July 2016

Review: Kisscut

Kisscut Kisscut by Karin Slaughter
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I’m a big fan of Slaughter’s Will Trent series and for the longest of times I told myself I needed to read what came before, that I needed to know what happened in Sara’s life prior to her appearance in the Will Trent books. It took me longer to work around to them than I had hoped, but I’m there now. More importantly, I can say they are not disappointing.
 
I read the Will Trent series in the wrong order. I brought a pack of books and a couple of them were in said pack. I was so interested that I didn’t bother to search whether or not they were part of a series. I simply jumped right in. Whilst the books worked as standalone novels, it was clear that there was an overarching story I was missing out on. I attempted to amend my lack of knowledge, but continued to read them in the wrong order as I started each one as it arrived in the post. I promised myself I would not do the same with her Grant County novels.
 
Thus, when I found books one and two going dirty cheap in the university’s second hand bookstore, I grabbed them. I promised myself I would stick to reading them in order, even if it meant annoying waits between the books, and jumped right in.
 
I’ll admit that I’m not as in love with them as I am the Will Trent series, but they’re still great reads. I think, however, that this comes down to the fact that I read the Will Trent books first. There are many fans who read the books in the correct order and enjoyed these stories more. Perhaps it’s just a case of what you read first being your bigger love, but we’ll never really know for sure.
 
As with all of Slaughter’s work, this second book in wonderfully dark. We have a great storyline, intricately connected, gripping us throughout. We’re left on the edge of our seats as more and more details come to light, with things progressing in wonderful ways. I could sit here trying to sound poetic about her work, but anyone who has read any of Slaughter’s other work will know what to expect. Darkness. Twists and turns. The harshness of humanity. Mystery. A questionable cast of characters (and that goes for both the bad guys and our leading roles).
 
Honestly, if you enjoyed the first there is no reason not to pick this one up.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment