Sunday 3 July 2016

Review: An Education in Royalty

An Education in Royalty An Education in Royalty by Heather C. Myers
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I admit that there were moments in this read where I considered giving three stars – but, in the end, such a thing would have been an injustice. I was addicted, pulled in to the point where I finished it in one sitting.

I admit the book has some of the clichés you will have seen before. The vampire-human romance, based upon initial dislike. The assassin and target falling in love. These are oldies, but they are goodies when they’re done right. Tempting the Flesh (also known as 'An Education in Royalty') does it right. You’re pulled into the story, and despite knowing how it will all play out you find yourself worried that a twist of fate will prevent the ending you want. Thus, you’re stuck with crossed fingers as you work through the story.

Honestly, if you enjoy a good paranormal romance this book is for you. It’s a short read and has everything you want.

You have action. You have romance. You have characters you want to know more about. If the truth is to be known, I’m disappointed it was such a short read. I could imagine this being turned into something much longer, with an entire series coming from these characters. Hell, it’s still a possibility. It would be a different kind of story, but I would love to see it. I found myself more attached to the characters than I imagined I would. In the past, I’ve found such a thing is often missed when books are of this length – somethings the author fails to make them real enough, they fail to leave me rooting for them – yet there is no such issue here.

I liked and disliked characters in equal measures. I found myself annoyed at the main character at times, but such a thing only worked to make her more real (even if it was through me wanting to bang her head off a wall for her actions).

Honestly, I could say so much. Unfortunately, I find such a thing difficult with stories of this length. I always find myself to close to spoilers. In fact, such happens no matter the length of a book when I’m surprised. And this one certainly surprised me. I went in not expecting much – freebies on Amazon are so often a hit and miss – only to be given something I thoroughly enjoyed.

There’s no doubt that I will be looking into the author’s other work.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment