Sunday 24 July 2016

Review: Cuffed

Cuffed Cuffed by Marc Horn
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

This is one of those freebies from Amazon that spent far too long sitting on my Kindle.

Earlier this year I spent an evening working through the freebies on Amazon with my friend. We were looking for books that would interest us both, that we would both sit reading. During our search she sent me the link to this book, informing me that it seemed right up my street. I had a quick look at it, decided she was right, and hit the download button. I planned to read it much sooner, as I was truly interested in what it had to offer, only it kept disappearing under other books. Finally, however, I worked around to it.

Truthfully, it wasn’t quite what I was expecting.

By the time I worked around to reading this, I’d mostly forgotten what it was about – all I really knew was that I’d once considered it something of interest. I did not let this faze me, though. I jumped in with the general notion of a thrilling cop story with some madness thrown in. Whilst it was a cop story with madness thrown in, it would do better to reverse the order of the words. It was a madness story with a cop aspect to it. In a few ways, it reminded me of Catch-22: the story was more about the madness than the events that were going on, if anything the events lost some of their impact because of the madness overshadowing everything.

Don’t get me wrong, it wasn’t a bad story. At first I was considering giving it three stars, as I was intrigued to see where things were going. There were many aspects to the story. I was finding certain things amusing enough to voice laughter. You never really knew what was truth and what was fable. It made for an interesting read. However, as the story continued I found myself caring less and less. By the time I was around the sixty-five percent mark, I was reading it simply for the sake of finding out how it ended. I wanted answers to my questions but I was no longer as connected to the story as I had been.

It became a case of ‘I need to finish this’ rather than ‘I want to finish this’.

I did have fun at times, though. Due to this, I’m willing to give the author another chance. I think I just lost interest in this particular story, and I’m hoping some of his other work will appeal to me more. I’m not sure at what point I’ll working around to reading his other stories, but I’ve hit the download button so it will happen at some point. My fingers are crossed!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment