Wednesday 21 March 2018

Review: Brett

Brett Brett by Melissa Foster
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Melissa Foster is an author I have been meaning to pick up for a very long time. I seem to see her books everywhere – in my Amazon suggestions, on my Facebook ads, being reviewed by friends, and in plenty of other places that leave me curious. I’ve even downloaded a handful of the author’s work onto my Kindle, grabbing books when they’ve been free. Despite my interest, I’ve never known where to dive in.

You see, my understanding is that most of Melissa Foster’s work is connected in some way. The sheer number of books in the Love in Bloom series is somewhat intimidating. Due to this, I always told myself I would start with the standalone Tru Blue – after all, it was the first of Melissa Foster’s books to really grab my attention, going beyond being a simple case of ‘I see this book everywhere’. Although I planned to start with Tru Blue, Brett ended up being my first Melissa Foster read. Although it is the fourth book in the Bad Boys After Dark series, the eighth book in the Billionaires After Dark series, and the fiftieth book in the Love in Bloom series, it can be read as a standalone.

At first, I was a wee bit tentative. There seemed to be history behind the characters that I was missing, and I feared I would not get to understand them to the degree I would need to. Fortunately, as the story progressed, I was sucked deeper into their story. Initial interactions may have taken place in the prior books, but the big stuff happens in this book. Sure, I’d like to read the prior Bad Boys After Dark books to get a better understanding of things – not just for these characters, but also for some of the underlying storyline – but I was not at a loss due to jumping straight into Brett.

While I did enjoy the story between these characters, Brett wasn’t quite a full four-star rating. It was enjoyable enough for me to round up, but it is closer to a three-point-five-star read. You see, I feel as though something was missing with this one. There was no point in the story where there was a high level of angst between the characters nor was there a point where I feared for the relationship – in other words, it was all smooth sailing on the relationship front. I would have liked something more there, something to make me feel deeply for the relationship instead of the drama being focused upon the personal life of our male lead.

Overall, this was enjoyable enough. As my introduction to Melissa Foster, Brett has left me willing to see what else the author has to offer – I won’t be going out of my way to bump Melissa Foster books to the top of my to-read list, but I will read more of the author in the future.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment