Friday 16 March 2018

Review: Thirsty

Thirsty Thirsty by Mia Hopkins
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Thirsty by Mia Hopkins is the first book in the Eastside Brewery series, and you can bet I’m interested in reading book two, Trashed. As my first Mia Hopkins read this one certainly grabbed my attention, and I’m curious to see what else the author has to offer.

I’ll be completely honest by saying I went into this one with some expectations in my mind. I was expecting another gritty gangster read, was expecting something a little bit dark and all the other associated expectations one has when they convince themselves they have found another good gangster romance. While this was a fun gangster romance, it was not the kind of story I expected it to be.

In many ways, this one was much lighter than the usual gangster read I pick up. I wasn’t expected a full-blown dark and gritty mob read, but I was expecting a lot of hard characters and plenty of examples of life on the street. This one surprised me by offering up less of these things than I had anticipated. These elements occurred throughout the story, but they were mostly in the background – the main story was actually a rather sweet contemporary read.

In many ways, it was a much deeper story than I had thought I would receive. I adore it when books surprise you in this way, when you go in expecting one thing only to be given another. The main romance story was great, there was plenty of stuff occurring in the background to keep you turning the pages, and it was all much softer than I’d imagined it would be. It was sweet, it had emotion, and there was much more to the story than you would believe when you first start this one.

Without a doubt, this one surprised me. I enjoyed this one for reasons completely different to what I had expected, and I’m super interested in seeing what the second book brings.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment