Monday 26 March 2018

Review: The Consequence of Rejection

The Consequence of Rejection The Consequence of Rejection by Rachel Van Dyken
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Rachel Van Dyken is an author so many of my reader friends seem to enjoy, meaning she has spent a lot of time on my to-read list. Recently, I have been trying to expose myself to as many of these authors as possible, trying to improve my knowledge when it comes to the more popular romance authors. Thus, I decided to dive into The Consequence of Rejection.

It wasn’t a case of picking any Rachel Van Dyken book simply to say I have read one – no, this book did appeal to me. I was intrigued by the synopsis, excited to see what the book gave. Although it is book four in the Consequence series, it works perfectly fine as a standalone, thus I jumped straight in.

I’m going to be honest by saying my feelings towards this one were rather back and forth throughout the book. In the end, it earned a three-point-five-star rating. I contemplated rounding this one up, but in the end rounded down. I think the biggest reason for this is that others had me expecting so much more from Rachel Van Dyken.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying this is a bad book. I did have fun with it. It simply wasn’t what I had been expecting. I went in expecting a fun rom-com, and whilst there was humour to be found, I feel as though the actual story was buried under too many forced ‘entertaining’ moments.

I did chuckle, I cannot deny that. However, I also found myself annoyed by some of the things that occurred. Humour is good, I love humour in my romance books, but this one felt forced at times. Certain elements felt unnecessary, as though they were put in for the sake of it. Then, elements I would have liked to see more of – the emotional stuff, the more serious stuff, the relationship on a deeper level – were brushed over so we could get back to the needless humour (needless in the sense it did not add anything to the overall story, and if it was cut out the story would not be affected in any way).

I will be reading more Rachel Van Dyken in the future, as this one did have me turning the pages – I simply did not enjoy this one to the level I had been expecting.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment