Sunday 11 March 2018

Review: Carbon Run

Carbon Run Carbon Run by J.G. Follansbee
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Carbon Run is the second book in J.G. Follansebee’s Tales From A Warming Planet series, but it works perfectly fine without reading The Mother Earth Insurgency. I read it without having read the prior story, and I had no issue understanding all that was going on.

Carbon Run was an interesting read, one that provides a really interesting world. I enjoy stories that look at the future, those with a focus upon what could happen with our environment in the years to come, and this one offered up fun possibilities. In fact, this was my favourite element of the book – the future was an interesting one, one that will make you stop and think. There is no doubt J.G. Follansebee has created a future that will leave people thinking about it for quite some time.

However, I wasn’t completely sucked into this story. There was a lot going on in this one, which I really enjoyed, but I had issues connecting with the characters. I was curious about where each of the stories were going, I wanted to know what would come next for each of the characters, but there was no connection there. Due to this, I was able to put the book down and turn away. I would go back, as I wanted to know how things came together, but it was not the incessant pull I’m accustomed to when a book has really gripped me. I’m not entirely sure what it was that kept me at a distance from the characters, but there was something there.

Overall, this was an interesting read. I’m sure many will have a lot of fun with this one, but it wasn’t quite all I had hoped for.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment